Monday, December 28, 2009

Eyes of Laura Mars: Well It's Official. Tommy Lee Jones Was Never a Stud Muffin.

My interest in watching this movie stems from trying to decipher the lyrics of one of my favorite Tori Amos songs, Gold Dust. There was the line, "Through the eyes of Laura Mars, how did it go so fast?" and I never frickin knew who or what Laura Mars was. Naturally I pretended to hear something else so that the lyrics were more fitting to my melodramatic teenage life at that time but I always wondered, who is Laura Mars? Why she is Faye Dunaway of course!

Eyes of Laura Mars is about the fashion photographer Laura Mars and her ability to see murders happen. She has visions both awake and asleep of brutal murders- but as of late every murder has in some way been attached to her and every one involves the stabbing of an eye with an ice pick.

The movie for the most part is melodramatic and a strange love shrine to Tommy Lee Jones, which, as a warm blooded mammal I have never been able to understand.


Even with his long flowing locks I wouldn't classify him as a Studdly McStuddlyson. So I'm not sure why he got casted in such a heroic, dreamy role but hey maybe it's just me. Despite that strange choice in casting (which is more than made up for with the casting of Raul Julia) I happen to enjoy the movie. It does seem to drag at a few parts but it is a pretty decent showing of a crime drama/murder mystery. Laura's visions are strange and I love how the police connected her photographs to actual unsolved murder photographs from 2 years previous- proof that her visions were not always concerned with the deaths of those closest to her. Of course having clairvoyent visions of murders happening isn't a new thing so that may have been why my snooze button was pressed a few times.

Things I loved; Laura Mars' photography. Can I get a poster of some of these? Half naked fashion models killing someone AND looking like models? Tyra Banks would be astounded- and why hasn't that been a challenge on America's Next Top Model yet? It is also very telling of the movie's subject matter that Laura Mars photographs brutal killings in order to sensitize the masses to violence when in actuality she is the one always experiencing brutal killings and becoming more and more sensitive to their nature. I also loved all the eye imagery. Camera lenses, ice picks through the eyes, the constant use of mirrors, seeing the truth and not seeing the truth- how even Laura's images are disadvantaged in that aspect- it's all very interesting and something I feel a lot of people miss when watching this movie.

Sure it's not a groundbreaking film by any means and Faye Dunaway seems to always be channeling a future role as Joan Crawford, screaming about no more somethings...


But I still enjoyed myself and I'm overjoyed that I can finally understand Tori's lyrics and take a whole new meaning from them.

One major major hate of this film though...having to look at limo driver's Tommy's face...


Wait a minute...I know him....Oh no! It's notorious murderer Charles Lee Ray from Child's Play! Ahhhh. Ugh. This man's face has always made me want to eat a baby. How ugly can one person be fo realz? As soon as I saw his face I knew he was responsible for something...even if it wasn't for the killings he just had to have done something. And I was partially right. Partially.

Overall a decent little film filled with deep themes and even a few tense moments. While it may be classified as a thriller, the addition of Charles Lee Ray turns it into an immediate horror film...har har. But seriously he is terrifying. Oh and is it wrong to love the theme song sung by Barbara Streisand? I'm putting it on my Itunes as we speak.

12 comments:

The Mike said...

Saw this a long time ago due to the John Carpenter factor. Don't really remember it at all now, might have to check it out again.

Franco Macabro said...

Ive always had this one on my list, I need to get down and watch it as soon as I can.

I always dug Brad Douriff, you find him freaky, but to me, with him, thats the whole point. He is always effective in creepy movies. He is also great at playing demented characters!

Also, I had forgotten that Raul Julia was on this one! He is one of my favorite actors for two reasons: He is a great actor AND...he is from Puerto Rico, where I live.

So two good reasons to watch this movie, plus Faye Dunaway going bonkers, which she is always good at.

Nice review!! I will be seeing this one soon!!

Andre Dumas said...

Haha yeah I do understand his freakiness being key! I was just startled to see him as a limo driver I suppose. I LOVE Raul Julia. I've decided I'm going to do a giant tribute post to him on his birthday which is in....March I think. woohooo!

Evil Dave said...

The Cure's "Killing an Arab" is based on a scene in Camus' novel, The Stranger. Strange how musical artists will pick up inspiration from other media. Books, Art (David Bowie's Andy Warhol), sculpture, and film.

Skinny Puppy are avid movie fans, particularly of the horror genre. Samples in their albums display a library of horror both good and bad, from the Exorcist and Legend of Hell House to Blood for Dracula and Videodrome.

Seems Tori Amos has weak spot for horror, too.

Chris H said...

ahahaha, Brad Dourif looks so demented in that picture.

I still haven't seen this, but will some day.

I am pulled in by the gravitational force of Tommy Lee Jones' do.

aunt john said...

My favorite scene is where her pal Donald (RENE AUBERJONOIS) dresses as her and parades down the street only to end up dead. For weeks after watching it with a friend, we would randomly call each other's voice mail and scream "D-O-N-A-L-D!" ala the insane DUNAWAY. GOOD TIMES!

Andre said...

Hahah....ahahah that is the best in the world. That scene is classic, he has amazing legs!

deadlydolls said...

I had a huge problem with this movie, although there was a whole lot to love. Dunaway is magnificent, but damn the film for not resolving the whole psychic thing, plus having a stupid stupid stupid stupid ending. Grr.

Oh, and SOMEONE clearly hasn't watched season 8 of ANTM, wherein the modeltestants had to pose as dead girls in bathtubs. I do not lie.

Andre Dumas said...

What! I have seen season 8 missy! They are just posing dead in that photo shoot. I'm talking here about half naked models killing someone! Maybe Tyra is afraid to get into that whole....murder thing, I can see it being taken the wrong way. Although we all know who actually started the meat dress trend--not Lady GaGa. Tyra....in that photoshoot with meat.

Anaïs said...

..already back on the site :-)
I happened to finally see laura mars last week.
Well, i was disapointed, but i guess, it's just because this kind of film was probably brilliant and novating at the time, and that all the ideas have been used so many times since.
- The ending, please, not anymore the good and evil fighting in one of the main character, it seems like nowadays wether people are ALREADY dead, or they are psychopath, and we should be "wouaah!". But it's probably true that at the time, it was not a scenario trick yet to end up a strange film.
- the soundtrack, probably one of the first film using music and photography like nowadays, before Mickael Jackson Thriller, and at he beginning of photographers like bettina reins.
- the rythm, kind of boring, not much in the scenario, but the lovers are cute together, it's just a "bad romance" like lady gaga would say :-)
- Brad Dourif, i have never seen child's play, don't know why, but i've seen Dune, but especially, a very strange litle budget John Huston film called Wise blood, i could not forget his eyes after that one. He is simply... the Devil in it.
Tell me if you find some "laura mars photographs"i want some too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Brad Dourif has a beautiful face, and has unfortunately been typecast into playing psychos.

georgejames said...

oh god.. this is one of the crappiest reviews yet.


i wish people who are capable enough to blog just walk away before they hit the "publish" button.

next time do some damned research.

nothing more than i hate the most is laziness and ignorant commentary.