Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scary Face Club: November Inductees


Well, it's November--a short month full of Fall, Turkeys and early Christmas carols. I don't mind November as much as say, the evil month of March but I do find Thanksgiving to be kind of a snooze. I eat Turkey all the time okay? When don't we eat something exciting like lobster or...PIZZA?

Here's one good thing November's got going for it. Another meeting of the Scary Face Club. Who will make it into the club this month? Let's find out shall we?

Don't know what The Scary Face Club is? Click here fool!


Regan



(The Exorcist)

Another reader recommendation that I must say floored me with its obviousness. Maybe because Pazuzu's scary demon face distracted me by being the president of the SFC, I never even remembered that Regan's non-Pazuzu face is just as frightening. I remember once in my youth, flipping past poster displays in the backlit, Marijuana infested back portion of Spencer Gifts, when I came across a poster of Regan smiling devilishly. There, snuggled safely between the giant boobs of some playboy centerfold and a poster of the yellow Smiley face smoking a joint, stood Regan with her terrifying face magnified. I remember my heart literally stopping for a brief second or two. This face still gives me the heebie jeebies.


Norris


(The Thing)

After my recent re-watch of The Thing and my subsequent anger at what's his face of EW, trash talking The Thing's effects--I couldn't ignore the terrifying face of Norris after being 'Thinged' (I made that up!) If there's one thing that is guaranteed to take a marginally scary face to SFC proportions, it's the addition of a pointy, sharp set of teeth. Such is the case here with Norris' nasty, slimy long necked face.

Beetlejuice


(Beetlejuice)

This is a first in The SFC. A face that we never even see! I like to think that I'm an Equal Opportunity Employer of scary faces or I guess more of an out of the box thinker. If there's one thing that always frightened me to death in Beetlejuice it was the scene where Beetlejuice proves he can be scary. I don't know what it is about this...maybe the noises, or the possibility of getting to see what his face is doing but whatever it is, it still kind of freaks me out. Seriously, what's going on over there? I shudder to think.


The Creeper


(Jeeper Creepers)

I suppose if I had to guess, I would assume that Beetlejuice's face might be resembling that of the Creeper's when he gets exposed to light and gets all mean and demony. You know what I've always not liked? When faces suddenly morph into something that fans out and is surprising and scary. Just like that dinosaur that kills Newman in Jurassic Park! Fuck that stuff man. The Creeper clearly fits into this category and I hate to say it, but people don't tend to give the Creeper a lot of credit in the scare department. I think he's scary. Plus, he can sew. Bam.

That Thing in the Basement


(American Horror Story)

I haven't exactly been addressing this in my day to day interactions with you all, but in between my love marathons of The Wonder Years, I've been unapologetically obsessed with American Horror Story. I love it. I love how weird and unexplained it is--like a David Lynch film. It's also got its fair share of scares---one in particular....the beast in the basement. This thing legit freaked me out in that first episode. So much so that I let out an audible scream that I seconds later tried to cover up by joking. Truth is--this was no joke--shit is scary. Again, with the pointed teeth and the gross wispy hair...... this is a face that will unfortunately appear when I do not want it to. Like when I'm trying to fall asleep and can't or like when I have to go to the basement to do my laundry. Curses.

5 comments:

Christine Hadden said...

Stellar choices this month!
The Creeper has always scared the ever-lovin' hell out of me, and The Thing? Whoa. (And that jackass at EW should have his testicles sledgehammered for dissing the SFX!)
Also, kudos for adding the new guy (gal?) on the block. American Horror Story is tripping my trigger, too!

BRENT said...

Well since I just watched The Exorcist last night for the first time in well over 20 years I'd go for Reagan!

blandon said...

I have a nominee for next month's Scary Face Club. The scary clown doll from Poltergeist, as pictured in my latest blog post about scary clowns and dolls: http://horrornovice.blogspot.com/2011/11/poltergeist-or-how-im-starting-to-get.html

I would argue he is equally scary before or after he gets all fangy and malicious.

Spooky Sean said...

I have been pleasantly surprised with American Horror Story. In particular, the fourth episode really floored me. They killed a special needs person, and killed someone on life support, all within ten minutes. That's brass balls, to do that on basic cable.

Dana Parker said...

This one's easy. They're all, no doubt, scary. Reagan brings a particular level of scare that kids tend to bring.

But I think I'd have to go for Beetlejuice as the scariest.

I'm with you. Those flopping thingamajigs and the look on his onlooker's faces says that's a sight I should live without. I'm thinking I'd much rather have flashes of Reagan in my mind rather than...The Face.