Monday, January 11, 2010

From Within: Rumer Willis' Face Always Ruins Everything.


I had high hopes for this- I did. And you know why? Because I find that I'm strangely drawn to suicides. Why is that? By all accounts I should be tied to the stake and burned for having interest in such a thing- but for some reason when I see suicides on film I find them to be strangely breath taking and an interesting idea in general. I will never understand the act of suicide- but I do find them thought provoking- and if done right- horribly beautiful. Don't throw stones at me just yet.

From Within is about a small town overrun by the most terrifying people in the world- the uber religious. The types of Christians whose masses seem more like a concert-where people jump out of their seats and praise Jesus and then probably speak in babbling languages known as "tongues". One things for sure- when your pastor has to wear a head set microphone--get the fuck out of that town. But I digress...this town has recently developed a strange sort of plague. One that causes everyone to commit suicide. Is it caused by the absence of religion and the devil taking over- as the creepy religious ones think? Or is there something larger at work here? If you are looking for an answer I'm sorry because when all is said and done, this movie makes no sense.

Come to find out those "devil worshippers" aka the only family in town who does not believe in religion-- ARE actually practicing "magic". My problem with the movie lies in this very simple fact. The magic that is practiced is something very dark- and probably non-existent. Therefore it's pretty much just painting the so called hero in a bad light- and in turn, making the uber Christians look like they were right the whole time. What is up with that? Why can't the whole idea of committing suicide and the further idea of waging war on yourself just be a product of the evilness of hardcore organized religion? Actually- better question, why does it have to be anyone's fault at all? Putting an actual explanation to the curse is in my opinion this films biggest down fall. Putting the atheist kid in charge of the curse--2nd biggest downfall.

The suicides would have been interesting had there not have been that whole "evil twin" thing happening. I enjoyed the mysteriousness and overall creepy tone that happened before we were introduced to this unearthly side of ourselves. Granted it is interesting to know that the person carrying out and orchestrating the suicide is a scary version of ourselves. Our dark sides against our good? The ultimate fight that perhaps should occur when a suicide is considered. But is it really? Once again this just brings up the whole religious aspect- and I really just felt that the entire movie was hypocritical. We are suppose to be on Aidan's side- who when he is attacked for not believing in God- and accused of worshipping the devil states "How can you worship something that doesn't exist? The devil is a creation of your religion" YET goes ahead and summons an evil curse that will kill each and every citizen by putting "the devil" into their minds and forcing them to submit to what is evil....???! Gah. My head hurts.

Anyways- other things that ruined this movie for me were; Rumer Willis' face.


Gah. What a beastie. How she is the spawn of Demi Moore we will never know...


The fact that Amanda and Michelle from America's Next Top Model were both in this. And that Amanda got the better acting role- when we all know Michelle is better at everything....


The murder of Sadie- which came completely out of left field. The fact that the movie was way way way too over the top emo- romantic- and the passionate kiss and sobbing in the last scene was unjustified and did not make sense. And of course the just all too ridiculous nature of the uber Christians.

Things that were kind of awesome; the alcoholic Mom's suicide, the last few stills of suicide's at the end during the credits, and finally, the opening scene- which gave me a false sense of excitement so actually maybe that's a negative. Drats!

Anyways I felt this could have been way better. It started to drag and before long just became a snoozer. After finding out that the suicide curse really was just a suicide curse- I completely lost interest--and I blame it on Rumer Willis. Oh and the lead girl reminded me of Ali Lohan....gross.

11 comments:

Bobby Bless said...

wait, you're a freak because you find suicides interesting and sometimes beautiful? does that make me an even bigger freak based on the fact that i laugh at dead baby jokes a majority of the day?

Andre Dumas said...

Haha Yup. We all belong in the bowels of hell I'm afraid : / Oh well.... It's going to be a party down there suckas.

Matt said...

May you succeed on your quest to watch the past "Films To Die For". I made it through this one and then after watching "Perkins' 14", I threw in the towel. Check that one out for a real shitfest (but in that kind of funny way) :)

Andre Dumas said...

Yay! That's the next one on my list hahah I had a feeling it would be laughably bad! It's weird because I think this year's fest is going to be much better--since I already have seen Lake Mungo and loved it- and I've heard pretty decent things about the rest. It's so strange how it's so hit or miss!

the jaded viewer said...

Kudos for watching an After Dark movie. I watched 7 of the 8 and still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

Look at this! We agree! :-P

This movie was horribly bad.

It's a PG-13 rash of suicides movie. I didn't think that was even possible...

Andre Dumas said...

Hahah! Yay! We did it!!

So true so painfully true. But Like I said I am still holding out for this years films....I loved Lake Mungo!

Hey! Look Behind You! said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks something off about her strangely shaped faced. *shudder*

Bobby Bless said...

you'll have your own ring of Hell to hang out in and I'll get stuck cackling away in the ring that has all the dead babies. I'm fairly certain that's a good thing in a morbid way.

Anonymous said...

Rumor truly looks like a photoshopped picture of "What it would look like if Demi Moore and Bruce Willis had a kid" come to life...

How'd that happen?

Matt-suzaka said...

Dude...Rumor Willis died. You are a devil woman! Oh, and she looks a lot like Rocky Dennis and now that I have said that, she probably will die...the curse lives on?

Andre Dumas said...

AHA the curse is now passed to you mwahaha