Sunday, August 30, 2009

Friday the 13th: Anyone Else Secretly Love Mrs. Voorhees' Sweater?


I will be the first to admit that this is not one of my favorites. I'm just not that excited about it and kind of sort of prefer to watch Sleepaway Camp? Yeah I'm sure I'm the only one and I don't know what it is about this movie but it just never really tickled my fancy.

Slasher movies about camps are almost in the their own category all together. Well let's not say camps let's say the woods. The woods are an evil place, but when there is a crazed old woman mourning the loss of her son on the loose, the woods become kind of like hell.

If you don't know by now I'm just going to tell you that Jason's mother Mrs. Voorhees is the killer in Friday the 13th. This may be one of the problems of the series- for me at least. So many people equate Friday the 13th with Jason that I feel like Mrs. Voorhees gets the complete shaft. Jason for me is probably one of the lamer horror movie killers. He's got no personality- he looks like the scary guitar playing hill billy from Deliverance and he's just a lame mamma's boy. But this is about Mrs. Voorhees who actually is a pretty decent killer and villain. She is decent because she is unexpected. When you see a harmless old lady prowling the woods you don't run away in fear- and that's where her golden opportunities lay. A lot of people are so thrown off that this nice old lady ends up being the killer that they refuse to believe it, until she actually pulls out the machete.

I also enjoy Mrs. Voorhees because she detests dirty camp counselors who have sex, as she should because camps are nasty anyways without rampant sperm and secretions on the loose. And now that I think about it, I do actually enjoy the scenes where counselors are killed while doing the nasty. It's pretty funny and when you think about not a terribly bad way to go. You are enjoying yourself beforehand anyways.

While I know this movie is a classic and many will despise me for not liking it, I just have to be honest here and say something is missing for me. Oh wait I know what it is...after all is said and done and Alice beheads Mrs. Voorhees she escapes to safety in a canoe? Ummm yeah I know I like to run for the first canoe I see after I dispose of the killer. And then that famous last scare at the end. OK pretty fucking scary because A. I hate things that jump out of the water with no warning and B. Jason looks like the moldy old lady in the bathtub in the Shining. Nauseating.

Buy Friday the 13th on Bluray at Horror Movie Empire

1 comment:

Atul said...

NO , am not . actually i like horror movies, i was searching for this movie, and i came across a site where you can Download Friday The 13th Movie , and can find other movies also of your choice.